Thursday 9 February 2023

Areas of Wonder

 

 As I debate areas of wonder at the moment I have been considering how on the one hand I am fascinated by the area of trauma and how current ballet dancers find the process of returning to dance following trauma. On the other hand, I am also rather enticed by a more historical research project looking at how trauma may have affected the performance of dancers through history. Somehow the historical approach feels less daunting to me. Why might this be? There is a sense of security about the past, we know what happened and there is concrete evidence to draw on. More current research of recent times feels less certain and more precarious. Although there is always an element of history within every research project, I am currently exploring where I would want the main focus to be directed. 

As I wonder I also think about the genre of ballet and it's place as a healing art form in the recovery of trauma. There is much research and evidence for dance movement therapy but how does the disciplined and in some ways famously trauma inducing art form of ballet sit within all this? Is there potential for ballet to help someone to recover from emotional trauma? Or does the art form cause further problems, or does it depend on the trauma? What about those watching ballet? Can the watching of ballet help those who have experienced trauma to move on?

What is the impact of emotional trauma on the artistic integrity of ballet dancers? 

How have dancers through history been influenced by trauma?

 My role as a researcher will be closely linked within this as it is an area close to my heart. I hope to draw on journals from my recovery process from Long Covid but also perhaps from experiences of bullying as a child.

I am currently in the process of working with two different charities. One is just in the process of being set up to support the mental health of dancers and I am proud to be a trustee on this charity. The other is an Anti bullying charity called 'We are Stronger' and I am in the process of planning a dance film for this charity. I would very much like my inquiry to benefit the work I do for both these charities.


Always value any thoughts that my MAPP cohort may have. Thanks so much.



4 comments:

  1. Hello Ann!
    thank you for your post!

    I also want to do my research about recovering from trauma and how dance, somatic movement and somatic touch can be helpful in this.

    my very private opinion, as someone who has been professionally in the dance world, is that most dancers choose dance because of a traumatic background.

    I would be happy to have a chat with you to share ideas!

    Dieter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dieter,
      That's so interesting that you have seen that in your practice. I have found that the more I am noticing trauma around me the more there is. Intergenerational between teachers, directors etc. I would be very interested to share ideas and here your views in this area.
      Thank you

      Delete
  2. Hi Ann. It is a meaningful perspective to look at dance as a therapeutic practice. I did have trauma before enrolling in ballet school. I burnt my feet, and the skin was scared and thickened. One of the reasons my parents supported my interest in ballet was the belief that it could make the scar thinner. And it truly helped.

    However, I cannot ignore that some parts of ballet experience were unnecessary traumatic as well. I learned to ignore the pain, and it is something I am still struggling to unlearn.

    Btw, I have read recently an article on mental health of professional classical dancers. Probably it would be of interest to you.

    van Staden, A., Myburgh, C.P.H. and Poggenpoel, M. (2009) ‘A Psycho-Educational Model to Enhance the Self-Development and Mental Health of Classical Dancers’, Journal of dance medicine & science, 13(1), pp. 20–28.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Olga,
    This is fascinating thank you for sharing. Thank you also for this reference this will most definitely be of use for my inquiry.

    ReplyDelete

The Essay

 As I reflect on the enlightening session last week with Peter Thomas in which Peter was exploring what defines an essay, I am inspired to s...