Saturday 4 March 2023

Discussions and special Interest Groups

 Last week I had a fascinating discussion with Dieter around the area of trauma. It was great to hear Dieter's knowledge from a somatic point of view concerning Long Covid in particular. We discussed how the body can tell you through physical symptoms that something in your life needs to change. How so often illness manifests from the disconnection between mind and body - when we stop listening. We spoke of the challenges that the national health services have with so little time allocated to each patient and how they can rarely get the root of a problem and must instead prescribe medication which is not always the right treatment and in most cases does not fully address the underlying issue. This discussion further prompted my my exploration into considering what really helped me to reach the point of recovery I am in when many people with Long Covid are still struggling. I remembered nature and how much I missed in isolation and then how I would go each day and sit by the tree in the park and gradually increase my walking in nature which eventually led to running.

I wonder how much of Long Covid is related to the fact that at a time when the body was struggling to adapt to an unknown virus, I was stuck in a room lacking oxygen, away from people and disconnected from nature. This can't have helped me to recover from a disease which affected my respiratory system so badly as well as every other system in my body.

Dieter pointed out the connections between nature and somatic practice and I hope this week to be able to attend his somatic class as I seek to develop a deeper awareness of this connection.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Essay

 As I reflect on the enlightening session last week with Peter Thomas in which Peter was exploring what defines an essay, I am inspired to s...