Tuesday 20 September 2022

CVs and the self we present to the world

Currently exploring and annotating my CV and looking for strands which can be focused on for AOL essays and so I thought I would share my CV here as I continue to introduce myself to the MAPP community. Here is my performance, teaching and academic CV. Depending on the context, I tend to alter how much of this information I put forward. I thought about this carefully... why do I do this? For example, for a ballet company audition I used to take out some of the crazier projects I was part of, even though these were in fact some of the most meaningful projects for me. But I felt that the mainstream ballet world would not understand them and they might actually make me seem less employable. This was a key reason why I became a freelancer, because I realised that I didn't really want to fit into a mould, and I actually love connecting with different individuals and practitioners in different fields and freelancing gives me so many opportunities to do this. I realise now that I want to live a life in alignment to my values and for me freelancing gives me more control of my life and work and allows me to work creatively too. The MAPP community is already igniting the more creative part of me which I find can so easily be suppressed in the mundane routines of day to day living. 


Below is my C.V. My full biography and more details about my work can be found on my website and social media accounts. 

 

Key Skills

Reliable, punctual, dedicated, creative, Hard working, good working with children, disciplined, positive, good team member, always willing to learn and help.

Performance Experience

Current (2022 season): Principal Dancer with English Youth Ballet. Roles Include: Odette in Swan Lake, Aurora, Lilac Fairy and Princess Florine in Sleeping Beauty, Dawn Solo in Coppelia and Spirit Mother in Cinderella, Myrtha and peasant pas de deux in Giselle.

Bromley gala 2022 with Claire Calvert and Nicol Edmonds: Repertoire included: Chopin Variations, Porgy and Bess, Aurora's Wedding Act 3 (dancing the title role). 

2020-2021 season: Teaching and dancing in the Bromley (August 2020) and Torquay (October-November 2020) Tchaikovsky Gala courses. Performing Aurora Act 3 Variation from the Sleeping Beauty for filmed performance during the Covid 19 Pandemic. 


December 2019: Brecon Festival Ballet: The Nutcracker (Snowflakes, Waltz of The Flowers, cover for Arabian Dance)

2016 – 2019: Danced with Ballet Cymru (Ballet Wales) dancing the soloist roles of Lady Capulet in Romeo and Juliet and Helena in A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Also danced in the UK tour of Little Red Riding hood, venues included Sadler's Wells Theatre and WMC Cardiff alongside the National Orchestra of Wales.

Feb 2019: Performed excerpt from Jack Philp’s choreography EX SITU for The Welsh Business Awards at Cardiff City Hall. Hosted Gethin Jones (national TV presenter).

August 2016: Reconstruction of Pavlova's The Swan (Slaughter after Petipa) at The National Association of Teachers of Dancing Congress dinner dance, along side international stars from Strictly Come Dancing

 

July 2016: The Soloist Couple and Waltz Variation from Raymonda (Nureyev), Arctic (Jose Agudo) and Shaker Loops (George Williamson) English National Ballet School Summer show and New Wimbledon Theatre

 

January 2016: Le Corsaire (Holmes after Petipa and Sergeyev), English National Ballet at The London Coliseum, London

 

August 2015: Danced the lead role of Giselle for the Giselle from Scratch production (after Perrot and Coralli) at The Regent Centre Theatre in Christchurch Dorset.

 

Spring tour 2015: My First Ballet: Swan Lake (Williamson) English National Ballet in association with English National Ballet School, at New Wimbledon Theatre and Peacock Theatre, London. The Palace Theatre, Manchester and The New Victoria Theatre, Woking. Performing the role of the Queen, Big Swans and Princesses.

 

07/03/15: Mozart Allegro (Paroni) in Spring Celebration at The Linbury Studio Theatre at The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London

 

October 2014: Lise from La Fille mal gardee (Slaughter after Ashton) with The Ballet Pod as part of the Berwick Ballet Initiative at The Maltings Theatre Berwick

July 2014: Sugar Plum fairy in The Nutcracker pas de deux with The Ballet Pod as part of the Berwick Ballet Initiative schools programme.

 

 

Teaching Experience

Current: Teacher for English Youth Ballet

Current: Teacher at Acton Ballet School: Grade 3, 4, 6, pre pointe, repertoire for summer school RAD

2019-2021: Teacher at Richmond Academy of Dance: Nursery Ballet, preliminary, Grade 3, Grade 6/7, Intermediate. NATD

Spring 2022: Host of Lecture demonstrations across 4 primary schools and 1 secondary school in Bromley with English Youth Ballet.

2019-2021: Teacher and assistant at Inspire Dance and Ballet, London RAD

2019-2021: Teaching assistant and cover teacher at Vacani School of Dance, London. Cechetti

2019-2020: Teaching assistant at Canada Waters School of Dance, London. Cechetti

2019: Guest teacher on Ballet Cymru Associate programme

2019: Guest teacher of ballet for The Welsh Rhythmic Gymnastics Team Cardiff

2018-2019: Guest teacher at Richmond Academy of Dance and Drama

2018-2019: Teaching assistant on Ballet Cymru Inclusive Dance classes

2018-2019: Private Coaching

2017-2018: Teaching on Ballet Pod workshops in play groups and bookshops.

09/15 - 12/15 Teaching Assistant on the ENBS Juniors programme at English National Ballet School

07/ 14 Assistant teacher and dancer in workshop for 6 different schools as part of The Berwick Ballet Initiative

09/12 - 09/13 Assistant teacher on Ballet Pod Associates programme

2010 - 2014 Assistant teacher to a number of Ballet Pod workshops

Film Experience

May 2021: Aprajita The Resilient Artist. Collaboration with Kathak dancer Anuradha Chaturvi Seth, produced by Madhuriya Art House and presented by The Nerhu Centre London via live streaming on both YouTube and Face book. The recording can be seen here at 18 mins. Aprajita The Resilient Artist

April 2021: Film of English Youth Ballet's Giselle in Aylesbury, dancing the roles of Myrtha and Peasant Pas de deux.

2020: Film 'Squashed' with Sally Marie Director of Sweet Shop Revolutions, commissioned by Sussex Dance Network

Current: World War 1 Pas de deux film to accompany musical composition Le Depart by Simon Winslade. Produced by Novus Visus Productions Ltd

September 2019: Dancer for film promoting the importance of Vitamin D in dancers and athletes with Nicky Keay, Sunvit-D3 and 4Media Group inc.

2019: Ballet dancer in Bollywood Film Street Dancer 3d, directed by Remo D’Souza coming to cinemas November 2019.

 

2019: Film extra for Bollywood music video starring Dytto.

Training

09/13 – 07/16: English National Ballet School, Level 6 Diploma in Professional Dance

Key Teachers

Samira Saidi (director of Dance)

Nathalia Barbara

Larissa Bamber

Ivan Dinev

Alen Bottaini

Nuno Campos (Contemporary)

Petal Miller Ashmole

 

Guest Teachers Include

Wayne Sleep

Yuri Demakov

Daria Klimentova

Irek Mukamedov

Elena Gurjize

Darcy Bussell

 

2007 - 2013 Trained privately in the Cecchetti method with Richard Slaughter

2012 - 2013 Ballet Cymru Associate Programme

2007 – 2012 Royal Ballet School Mid and Senior Associate Programme

 

 

Awards

English National Ballet School Dissertation Prize 3rd year. 1st and 3rd Year Progress prizes, 1st and 2nd year portfolio awards.

Recipient of the Stanley Hawkins Bursary for Ballet Cymru Riverfront Summer Dance, awarded by The London Ballet Circle 2015

Recipient of The Royal Ballet School Summer School Scholarship at The Young British Dancer of The Year Award 2012

 

 

Academic Qualifications

2018: First Class BA Hons Degree in Professional Practice in Arts (Dance) from Middlesex University. The focus of my degree was an extensive study of the work of Anna Pavlova and a performance of reconstructions of her solos.

2022: Protecting Children in Entertainment Certificate from NSPCC Learning

2021: Certificate in Inclusive dance Instruction from Paradance UK, passed with Distinction

2021: Diploma in Sports Psychology and Dynamics from The School of Natural Health Sciences. Passed with Distinction

2020: Diploma in Child Psychology and Development passed with Distinction

2020 - Certificate in Psychological First Aid for Children and Young People, Future Learn

2020 - Certificate in First Aid, Siren Training

2020– Colour Therapy Level 3 from British School of Yoga, Distinction

Current - Diploma in Stress Management, School of Natural Health Sciences

Current – Yoga Level 3 from British School of Yoga

2015 - Benesh Movement Notation: Score Reading for Dancers, passed with Honours

2013 – Level 3 Diploma English Literature Oxford College with Distinction

2012 – Level 2 BTEC Award in Nutrition awareness for Sport and Exercise

2011 – GCSE English passed with A*

2010 – Diploma in Art History from The London Art College, passed with Merit

2010 – Certificate in Essay writing from National Extension College




6 comments:

  1. Hi Ann, so great to read through your blog and learn so much about you!! It's definitely motivated me to get mine updated. I'm so curious to hear more about the psychology, therapy and stress management training that you've been recently engaged with. I wonder if it has changed your artistic work and I'd just generally love to hear more about it.
    My friend Alison is producer for a dancer called Reece who is currently working on a project to discover how Long Covid will impact his practise which seems like it could be interesting to you https://www.instagram.com/longtermcreative/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Matthew, Thank you so much. Yes I have to say that holistic therapy and psychology/ stress management is something I am really passionate about, and it has been helping me a great deal as I recovered and returned to the stage. Thank you for highlighting it as I am actually thinking of incorporating this into an area of learning essay. I will do a blog post about it I think. Thank you so much for telling me about this project. I am extremely interested and look forward to exploring it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Ann for sharing your CV and thoughts around it, I also tailor my CV depending if I am applying for a teaching job vs adjudicator vs performer, but I also resonate with how that full picture is actually the most authentic way to display your attributes or what you bring to a project. I am just now diving into my CV to pull it apart and it has brought up some of the same ideas you have shared, so it's nice to know I am not alone in those feelings! Thank you for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cael, Lovely to hear from you. It's great to hear some of the same thoughts are emerging for you. It's one of those challenges with CVs I think because there is also that need to keep it short as many employers at least in ballet don't actually read until the end! x

      Delete
  3. Hi Ann. Thank you for sharing. I have noticed that your focus in BA programme was Anna Pavlova's works. Years ago, the reconstruction of her "Dying Swan" inspired me to join the ballet school. What is your favorite book about her works?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Olga! Yes that's right it was a such a wonderful research project and was incredibly rewarding. Oh that's amazing. She still remains my biggest inspiration. My favourite book would be 'Anna Pavlova: Twentieth Century Ballerina' By Jane Pritchard. It is honestly beautiful! https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15842731-anna-pavlova

      Delete

The Essay

 As I reflect on the enlightening session last week with Peter Thomas in which Peter was exploring what defines an essay, I am inspired to s...