Tuesday 18 October 2022

Reflections on Frameworks and the place of unknowing


 



I have been inspired by Deiter and Lea's posts about what can be discovered in the place of unknowing, I decided to explore this a little bit for myself with some freewriting.

Unknowing...

The place of insecurity, yet also freedom

A land where possibility is prevalent

space

acceptance

presence

being at one with wherever you are

frighteningly beautiful

Secure and insecure at the same time

The older I get the less I feel I truly know and the more at peace I become with that

Some days we sit with it and accept it

Some days we fight against it and cannot find peace within it.

Yet every day, we are faced with the challenge of what we don't know, and we must learn to hold hands with the fear that emerges and make friends with the possibility that the process of learning may bring.



Then I was equally inspired by Honor's post and sharing some thoughts on my response to it here:



I really love this way of looking at a framework as a gateway to intuitive understanding and not the door itself. I have also been finding it a challenge to get into the frameworks of reflective practice as I feel this often destroys my natural process of reflection when I try to follow some of the structures suggested.  

You had me considering the notion of authenticity and how the arts absolutely give us that chance to share our inner selves to the world in ways that feel true to who we are. The arts can become that way of communicating with others when we feel misunderstood. 
Strangely I feel that many life experiences I lived through the medium of dance first. It is like this force that allows me to experience life and connect to others. I often say that performers and artists are so fortunate because every piece of art they create or every performance they undertake are like full lives in themselves. 

4 comments:

  1. Completely agree and love the way you articulated the incredible opportunity we have as artists to live a life inside of the art that is perhaps outside of ourselves...or maybe deeper within ourselves than we are truly aware of. I also agree about the frameworks, I am finding podcasts and journal articles really interesting but the theory based texts are a huge hurdle for me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Caleigh, I am so glad that resonated with you. Yes, completely I feel the same. I do enjoy podcasts and ted talks for deepening my understanding of a topic at the moment as well. I like to be able to stretch and move while I learn these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ann. Thank you for sharing. I like this particular line 'make friends with the possibility'. I think it articulates how I feel about frameworks. While taking a different framework, we have to get familiar with it and probably accept the difference between it and ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Olga. Yes, I absolutely agree. I am in this place of exploring and embracing new frameworks and figuring out how I work with them. Glad it resonates with you too.

    ReplyDelete

The Essay

 As I reflect on the enlightening session last week with Peter Thomas in which Peter was exploring what defines an essay, I am inspired to s...