Tuesday 27 December 2022

Why I dance

 Below is a recent reflection I shared on instagram which I felt I also wanted to share on here as it seems to be part of my reflective journey.


 

Why do I dance?

Recently I asked my students why they dance. I gave them a sheet of paper and they wrote and drew all the reasons why they love to dance. It was beyond touching to see the incredible impact dance is having on their lives.

So today I share with you why I dance.

I dance because for me it is the bridge of connection to others. It is the most expressive way I have found to connect fully with the world around me.

It is a celebration of life, of the highs as well as the lows. When I can't find the words, dance can somehow express what I am trying to say.

It connects me beyond the here and now to something much deeper which doesn't necessarily need to be understood, it is simply the feeling that we are all interconnected and part of something far greater than ourselves.

I have lived my life through this art form and even when I felt I wouldn't be able to dance again during injury and illness it somehow kept finding me and healing me.

Now more than ever I realise that my calling has always been to share dance with as many people as I can who may not otherwise be able to access it.

I didn't have a conventional journey, in fact it was extremely unconventional all the way. I kept going time after time when it would have been much easier to give up. Why? Because I have so much love for this art form and I believe it is my mission to share that with others.

Nothing worthwhile in life comes easily it takes so much consistency and perseverance every day.

I don't tick all the boxes, never have but I keep working each day to improve and try to use what I do have to the best of my abilities.

I am truly living my dream if I reach people even in a small way and inspire or move them with dance.

Grateful for all the people that this art form continues to connect me with. From colleagues, employers, teachers, students to fellow freelancers, children and collaborators and audience members. Thank you for enriching my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Essay

 As I reflect on the enlightening session last week with Peter Thomas in which Peter was exploring what defines an essay, I am inspired to s...