Monday 6 February 2023

Epistemology, IADMS conference and realisations around disconnection and somatic awareness

 

As I explore epistemology I can see that I definitely approach my own life and work now with mostly a sense of embodiment. I look back and realise that I tried to control so much of my life, to be certain and to do everything I could to ensure the outcome of something. But now I am opening up to this idea of going with change. I think often for a ballet dancer there are concerns about becoming too old to dance, as it generally is quite a short career. There is a feeling of trying to hold on to technique and the body’s ability to execute the movements. In the last few years my body and mind overcame some extreme challenges and I believe these were interconnected completely.

But I am encouraged now to look outwards into the universe and to some extent trust what is happening. I do hold the belief that things happen with a divine timing, I also believe we are all interconnected and although not particularly religious I have always felt that god is within and around us all. I feel the presence of god like I feel the presence of the universe and all its mysteries. Therefore, do I hold a monist view? In some things perhaps.

 But I also tend to see the mind as separate from the body and brain and this is more of a dualist view. But this feeling holds me back I feel. It often feels like I am fighting against my mind and that my mind is not in sync with my body. There is a feeling of separation and I have always felt this is the factor that has held me back the most in my life and career. This has been brought to the forefront in the last week as I began to explore the epistemological concepts and while catching up on the recordings of the IADMS Conference. I was particularly interested in Russel Maliphant’s talk on Research influencing practice and Helen Kindred’s session on ‘Embodied fundamentals: a somatic framework for research influencing practice.’  Maliphant talked about how fascia deeply connects the body and how ideas of tensegrity influence his practice. He also spoke about ‘emotional anatomy’ and this is a book I am now exploring for this module. Concepts of emotions influencing the body.

He quoted Gary Ward as saying that ‘flow occurs as the number of restrictions to the body’s movement patterns are reduced’. I have struggled with the flow of certain movements, my perception of how they should feel, vs how they look and how I think they look. How do we dissect all of this to know if we do in fact know any of this? This related to epistemology and  Hegel’s ideas which I am currently exploring in his book ‘Elements of the philosophy of Right’. I will explore some of these in my next blog.

 

Helen’s session was my fist real experience of somatic practice. I must say I believe it highlighted to some extent just how out of sync I am with my own body. Often, I cannot feel natural movement patterns, I am instead almost led by ‘performed movement’. This related to the idea of the ‘performed self’ which I discussed with Honor in Module 1. I participated in half the session but felt that I was not in a place of embodiment so I watched the 2nd half of the recording and just absorbed the experience. Some things that Helen said which seemed to shine were ‘a feeling of breath between the bones’ and a ‘sensing of the skeletal architecture’. These two descriptions gave me such a feeling of embodiment and gave way to the realisation that I do feel a disconnect to my arms still and that I do not fully know what ‘full integration’ feels like.

I wonder if it is possible for me to reach that place within the genre of classical ballet? I find when I improvise in the area of neoclassical dance I do come close to this feeling. But in the classical roles I struggle. Ballet in it’s most classic form often feels precarious.

So I am now interested to experience more somatic practice and so I ask all my friends on here working in the Somatic field, if you can advise me on any good online sessions or London based sessions in somatic practice, pay as you go as my work schedule is extremely full, I would be so grateful?

 I feel it will be so beneficial for me to explore this area further. Especially now as I am opening up areas of wonder in relation to how trauma affects the body and if ballet can be a healing practice and potentially help those recovering from trauma. I will do another post on these areas of wonder.

 

I feel that for the first time I am able to recognise what has been the biggest limiting factor to my practice- not feeling a full sense of embodiment of mind, body and soul. Feeling disconnected. This feeling, although always present since I can remember, has been worsened by trauma’s over the years and the most challenging trauma of recovering from Long Covid still leaves an imprint which I hope to explore through somatic practice.

 

My 2023 vision board

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Essay

 As I reflect on the enlightening session last week with Peter Thomas in which Peter was exploring what defines an essay, I am inspired to s...